Cooking a la Plancha has got to be our new motto at home. Recently my boyfriend decided we needed a new grill – better even, a plancha. Without having any idea of what exactly a plancha is compared to a normal grill, I nodded in excitement – loving the idea of some bbq sessions on our terrace. When the plancha arrived I still believed it was like a normal grill – perhaps the only difference being that the surface to grill on is one big hot plate. Oh, how wrong I was!
Firstly, I was educated that a plancha is not a normal grill, but so much more advantageous. And rightly so. Here are some important points to note:
1) A plancha reaches a temperature of 270-300°C within 5 to 10 minutes (much quicker than most grills)
2) The smallest chopped foods can be made on a plancha without falling between the embers that a normal bbq brings with it
3) Everything can be cooked or grilled on a plancha – from meats, to fish, to vegetables, an omelette, pancakes or even popcorn can be made on it!
4) Grilling / cooking on a plancha can be done completely without oils or butter (though we do recommend oil if you don’t want food sticking to your plancha too fast)
5) It’s fast, easy and you can cook / grill super healthy
6) Cleaning has never been easier! Once done cooking, you can throw on some cold water or ice cubes and scrap the surface of the plancha with the spatula to remove any burnt food that is left. No need to take the bbq apart and clean between the embers – what a relief!
We’re still working on new recipes, trying out others and experimenting on the plancha – but one thing is for sure: so far it has alway come out great and really only takes a couple of minutes until the food is served!